Strategic enrollment planning is a process to align the university’s enrollment management strategies with its academic, co-curricular, and fiscal strategies and practices in order to promote the recruitment, retention, and graduation of its students. The process should be data-driven and broadly engaging of all university stakeholders.
In other words, the strategic enrollment planning process will ask Lindenwood to determine the optimum size and make-up of its student body, and to strategize attracting and retaining those students according to the university mission, overall strategic plan, and realistic data projections.
The external environment in higher education is changing quickly, and to remain competitive Lindenwood must have a capability to adapt. Keeping the strategic intent aligned with Lindenwood’s core identity as well as its environment will be critical and can be accomplished through integrated strategic planning activities. We cannot predict the future; however, the data-informed process of strategic enrollment planning will allow us to anticipate possible future scenarios. An iterative planning process allows flexibility and continuous strategic adjustment. The end goal of the process will be to identify and execute strategic initiatives that best position Lindenwood for reaching the established objectives.
Benefits of strategic enrollment planning include:
- The planning process itself fosters a campus culture that is focused on the external environment
- Creates a greater readiness for change and the ability to adapt to the changing landscape of higher education
- Takes advantage of core competencies and capabilities to design strategies which Lindenwood can realistically execute
- Maintains a focus on results by incorporating measures for key performance indicators and return on investment
- Aligns campus resources to common goals
- Promotes a data-informed and enrollment-focused culture
- July 2018 – Project approved by Cabinet; Board informed
- August 2018 – University Committee for Strategic Enrollment Planning (UC-SEP) formed
- October 2018 – Strategic working groups formed
- Summer 2019 – Implementation of initial high-impact, easily executed initiatives
- November 2019 – Working groups submit final reports with suggested action plans
- December 2019 – UC-SEP and Cabinet select and budget for first round of action plans
- 2020-2021 – Implementation of first-round action plans
University Committee for Strategic Enrollment Planning
The University Committee for Strategic Enrollment Planning guides the strategic enrollment planning process, analyzing data, establishing timelines, and overseeing working groups. The committee is formed of representatives from a broad array of departments.
Sara Wiedman, Chair
Erin Mann, Chair
Biology/School of Sciences
IT/Accelerated Degree Programs
W. Travis McMaken
Philosophy & Religion/School of Humanities
Marketing/Plaster School of Business
Please use the form below to contribute ideas, potential strategies, or data for the consideration of the UC-SEP or the strategic working groups.