The “Sophomore Checklist” is a guide to help you make the most of your sophomore year. Integrate these suggestions into your academic goals.
- Know your advisor. Meet with your academic advisor(s) to discuss short and long term academic plans.
- If you’ve decided on a major, meet with your advisor to discuss your class schedule to ensure you are on track to complete your degree within the time frame you have planned.
- Make sure you are enrolled for the prerequisites needed to advance in your major.
- Consider adding a Minor to your degree.
- Check your Office 365 on a daily basis.
- Visit your professors during their office hours at least once a semester.
- Challenge yourself to get better grades than you did in the previous semester.
- Familiarize yourself with the Student Portal and Canvas.
- Utilize academic support or tutor services. Smarthinking is free online tutoring that can be accessed through your portal or Canvas.
- Visit the Writing Center for assistance with written assignments.
- Visit the Career Center.
- Take the free FOCUS 2 assessment to help with major and career decisions. If you have not done so revisit the assessment to see if it still aligns with your future goals.
- The Career Center can help you build your resume and/or CV along with interview tips.
- Attend the Career Fair. Lindenwood hosts a Career Fair each semester.
- Look at or apply for internships you may be interested in.
- Get to know your professors and ask them how they found their field of study.
- Now is a good time to investigate Study Abroad opportunities.
- Join at least one club or organization related to your career field or major.
- Take advantage of volunteer opportunities.
- Join our International Speaker Series and attend at least one speaker that relates to your major or area of focus.
- Submit your FAFSA and supporting documents by the federal, state and college deadlines.
- Meet with Financial Aid Services to discuss your financial package or to learn about ways to finance your education.
- Apply for scholarships and grants.
- Browse on-campus job opportunities.
- A variety student discounts are offered including food, business, recreation, and health & wellness.