Lindenwood University

View Full HTML Version

Int'l - Medical Information

Health Care:

The United States does not provide socialized medicine. Because medical care can be very expensive, it is important to have health insurance, even if the school does not require it.
Medical Emergencies:

If you need an ambulance or emergency medical care, dial 911 on any phone 24 hours a day. You can also dial 0 to reach the operator. They will send an ambulance to transport you to a hospital emergency room. The hospital will need the name of your health insurance company and policy number, so you should always carry your health insurance card with you.
Medical Records:

Bring a copy of your medical records with you to the US, including immunization and vaccination records and prescriptions. It is generally a good idea to visit your doctor before you leave for the US.
Health Insurance:

International students should note that in addition to tuition, fees, room and board, and living expenses, they will have to pay for health insurance. The federal government does not require students on an F-1 visa to have health insurance, but having one is always a good idea.

There are a variety of student health insurance programs that are available to international students. Choose one that best fits your needs.
Finding a Doctor or Dentist:

If a friend cannot direct you to a physician or dentist, you may call HTH Worldwide and request a list of available physicians in St. Charles area or look in the Yellow Pages. It is essential to telephone for an appointment before going to a doctor or dentist. You may have to wait a few days for an appointment unless you are sick or in need of a doctor immediately.

St Joseph Health Center – 300 1st Capitol Dr; (636) 947-5000
St. Charles County Dept of Community Health & the Environment - 1650 Boonslick; (636) 949-7400
Barnes-Jewish St. Peters Hospital - 10 Hospital Dr., St. Peters; (636) 916-9000
Logan College, Chiropractic Center - 2067 Zumbehl Road; (636) 1-800-782-3344
St. Charles Clinic & Pharmacy - 2850 West Clay; (636) 946-7838
Volunteer in Medicine – (636)724-4848
St. Charles Optical Co. - 1001 Fairgrounds Road; (636) 946-6763

Copyright 1827 - Lindenwood University • 209 S. Kingshighway • St. Charles, MO 63301
Switchboard (636) 949-2000
Undergraduate Admissions (636) 949-4949
Evening & Graduate Admissions (636) 949-4933