Board of Directors
  • Portal Login

  • Access Canvas
  • Student Guides
  • Instructor Guides
menu spacer Students menu spacer Parents menu spacer Military menu spacer Alumni menu spacer menu spacer
menu spacer Calendar menu spacer Directory menu spacer Social MediaSocial Media Options menu spacer Search menu spacer
Show/Hide Background
menu spacer

Int'l - Maintaining Status for F-1 Visa Students

It is your responsibility to understand and comply with the terms of your visa during your stay in the United States. If you comply with all of the F-1 visa regulations you will be considered "in status" and will be eligible for all F-1 benefits. There are four main elements to maintaining status:

  • Completing a full-time course load each quarter
    Full time is defined as completing at least 12 credits per quarter for undergraduate students, and at least 9 graduate level credits for graduate students. Please note that registering for the required number of credits is not the same as completing the required number of credits. If you register for the minimum number of classes, then subsequently drop, withdraw, or fail a class, you will not be completing the required number of credits. Choose your classes carefully!
  • Keeping I-20 current
    Report any changes of major, name, or sponsorship to the International Student Center so that this information may be changed on your I-20. Your I-20 should not expire before you complete your degree at Lindenwood University. If it is going to expire, come to the International Student Center before the expiration date to obtain information about extension. Don't forget to have your I-20 signed by the International Student Advisor at least once per year.
  • Holding valid passport
    You must have a valid passport at all times while in the United States. If your passport will be expiring this year, contact your country's embassy/consulate in the United States well ahead of the expiration date for information about how early you will need to start the renewal process, and the type of supporting documents you will need.
  • Working only with proper authorization
    Working off-campus is only possible under certain conditions and always requires prior approval from the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services and/or the International Student Center. Working illegally is a serious offense and can result in you being forcibly deported from the United States.
menu spacer
Page Maintained by the Office of International Students & Scholars  Email Feedback
menu spacer View as Printer Friendly menu spacer Share on Facebook menu spacer Share on Twitter menu spacer
A-Z Index  |  A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z  J. Scheidegger Center menu spacer 89.1 FM The Wood menu spacer LUTV
Copyright  1827 - Lindenwood University • 209 S. Kingshighway • St. Charles, MO 63301
Bookstore   Human Resources   Locations   Maps   News   Publications   Security
Switchboard  (636) 949-2000
Undergraduate Admissions  (636) 949-4949
Evening & Graduate Admissions  (636) 949-4933

Viewing Full HTML   |   View Mobile