Skip to Main Content

Visa Information

F-1 Visa U.S Embassies, Consulates, and Diplomatic Missions

Lindenwood University-Belleville can only accept an F-1 visa. In order to apply for the visa you will need to obtain the Form I-20, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student. Lindenwood University will issue the Form I-20 once you have been admitted to the university. To be admitted, you must submit all documents and appropriate fees included with your application. The I-20 can only be issued to students who plan to study full-time. To apply for an F-1 visa, please contact the nearest embassy or consulate in your country of residence.

Visa Information

J-1 Visa

Lindenwood University-Belleville is not authorized to accept a J-1 visa.

B-1/B-2 Tourist Visa

If your intent is to come to the United States to study, it is not advisable to come on a tourist visa. Most requests to change from tourist to student status are denied by the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Visas for Dependents

If your dependents would like to stay with you at Lindenwood, they may apply for a Dependent Visa (F-2). The primary visa holder must show the ability to financially support the dependent(s). Dependents will have their own I-20. Dependents of F-1 visa holders may not engage in part- or full-time study, except for unmarried minor children in K-12 programs, and are not allowed to engage in any type of employment.

Changing Visa status in the U.S.

Contact the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services for change of visa status and questions.


At the port-of-entry to the United States be sure that you present the I-20 of Lindenwood University-Belleville. The school named on your visa must be a match to the school on the I-20, only if it is the first time you are using your I-20. You may also be asked for bank statements or other proof that the sponsor on your I-20 has sufficient funds to cover your yearly expenses. Be sure that you will be entering the United States before the report date in item 5 of your I-20. If you arrive after the report date, you may be refused entry to the United States.

Maintaining Visa Status

In order to maintain a F-1 student status a student must carry a full course of study - 12 credit hours for undergraduate students and 9 credit hours for graduate students, not transfer to a new school without authorization, and complete the full course of study in the time allotted for a particular program. Report a change of address, phone number, and/or email address to International Office. F-1 students may stay in the US for the full length of their academic program plus 60 days. The inverse of any of these criteria would cause a student to be out of status and subject to removal proceedings. Thus a student who works without authorization could be placed in removal proceedings.


All international students must pay a $200 service fee to SEVIS prior to their interview at the US Embassy in their home country. Students will not be able to obtain an interview without presenting a receipt indicating the fee has been paid.

Passports US Department of State

Your passport must be valid for at least six months beyond the end of your intended stay in the US.

Before leaving for the US, make a photocopy of the page containing your photograph and passport number. If your passport is lost or stolen, this will make it easier to replace the passport. Keep the photocopy in a safe place, separately from your passport.

If your passport is lost or stolen, notify your embassy and the police immediately.

Lindenwood University
2600 West Main Street
Belleville, IL 62226