• Access Canvas
  • Student Guides
  • Instructor Guides
menu spacer Students menu spacer Parents menu spacer Military menu spacer Alumni menu spacermenu spacer menu spacer
menu spacerDirectory menu spacer Social Media menu spacer Search menu spacer
Show/Hide Background
Division of Education
menu spacer

Applying to Illinois

As a current Lindenwood student or an educator transferring from another state, there are a few steps to take to be licensed to teach in Illinois.  Lindenwood University-Belleville is working diligently to streamline this process.  Please refer to the information below, as well as familiarize yourself with the Illinois State Board of Education website. 

Illinois recognizes three types of license:

  1. Professional Educator License (PEL) - full licensure in the state of Illinois
  2. Educator License with Stipulations (ELS) - a provisional license that allows two years for completion of additional Illinois courses or requirements before applying for a PEL
  3. Substitute Teaching License (SUB)

Requirements for the Professional Educator License (PEL) for Applicants Trained Out of State

The professional educator license is valid for five fiscal years and is renewable upon completion of professional development requirements. When applying for the PEL, select one endorsement from the list below to be attached to the license. Illinois tests and specific requirements can be found through the heading links.


  • Early Childhood (birth - grade 3)
  • Elementary (K-9)
  • Secondary (6-12)
  • Special Teaching (K-12)
  • Special Education 

Administrative (PK-12)

  • Principal
  • Superintendent
  • Chief School Business Official
  • Director of Special Education 

School Support Personnel (PK-12)

  • School Social Worker
  • School Counselor
  • School Psychologist
  • School Nurse
  • Speech Language Pathologist, non-teaching

Requirements for the Educator License with Stipulations (ELS) Endorsed as a Provisional Educator for Applicants Trained Out of State

An educator license with stipulations endorsed as a provisional educator is valid for two fiscal years and cannot be renewed. No provisional endorsements on an educator license with stipulations shall be issued for principal.

Before an educator license with stipulations endorsed as a provisional educator expires, the requirements for the professional educator license (PEL) should be met, as outlined above. If the PEL requirements are met within one year of the issuance of the ELS, the ELS will be exchanged for the PEL for no additional fee.

Requirements for ELS:

  • Valid, comparable out-of-state license
  • Transcript from a regionally accredited institution of higher education, demonstrating a bachelor degree (unless a master degree is required) with a minimum of 15 semester hours in content coursework
  • A passing score in Illinois' test of basic skills - the Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP 400), or in lieu of the TAP, an acceptable ACT Plus Writing or SAT composite score
  • A passing score on the applicable content-area test(s)
  • Proof of completion of a comparable state-approved program (ISBE form 73-05)*
  • Grade Verification Form (ISBE for 73-06)

*Completion of a state-approved program is not required for issuance of the ELS, but is recommended. Before the PEL can be issued, evidence of completing a state-approved program must be provided.

Applying for a PEL or ELS

  • Obtaining either an IL PEL of ELS starts with an application to the Educator Licensure Information System (ELIS).  Create an ELIS account and follow the directions for your specific area.
  • The fee for either license is $150. 

Useful Links

  • For a list of ISBE pre-approved courses that may be taken to fulfill the required coursework to transition from an ELS to a PEL, click here.
  • For an at-a-glance summary of requirements for out-of-state applications for ELS and PEL, click here

menu spacer
Page Maintained by the Division of Education & Counseling  Email Feedback
menu spacer View as Printer Friendly menu spacer Share on Facebook menu spacer Share on Twitter menu spacer
A-Z Index  |  A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z 
Copyright  Lindenwood University - Belleville • 2600 West Main Street • Belleville, IL 62226
Lindenwood - St. Charles   Books   Human Resources   Locations   Maps   News   Publications   Security

LU-Belleville Main Phone  (618) 239-6000
LU-Belleville Main Fax  (618) 277-6001

Viewing Full HTML   |   View Mobile