Welcome to Greek Life!
Sorority and Fraternity groups bond men and women together by friendship, brotherhood, and common goals. Greek Life is an education in itself that lasts a lifetime, creating relationships amongst the members which help to develop strong and creative leadership skills that lead to success. Greek members frequently enjoy a much higher level of involvement on campus and community life than Non-Greeks.
Parents can play an important role in their students' college experience, but often they aren't sure what their role is or should be. From our experience working with many students and parents, here are a few tips to help you if your student is considering Greek Life:
- The decision to join: Some students will choose to join a Greek chapter and some will choose not to. If your student’s decision is different than you thought it would be, talk to him or her and try to understand his or her perspective.
- Support during the process: Students need support throughout the process of recruitment/intake and new member education. Be supportive and learn as much as you can about Greek life by asking questions of your student as he or she learns about the chapters at Lindenwood. If your student decides to pursue membership in a fraternity or sorority, be there, be supportive, and allow your student room to make his or her own decisions.
- Variety of experience: Fraternities and sororities are different on every campus and change over time. The place you loved on your campus may not be the same place your son or daughter loves at Lindenwood. Similarly, your chapter at Lindenwood may be very different than it was when you joined. Know that all of our Greek chapters at Lindenwood will provide an outstanding experience for your student.
- Be involved: Once your student joins, there will be many activities and events for you to attend or become involved with. Whether they show it or not, your student will most likely love your involvement with the chapter’s parent activities.
- Keep in contact: Keep the Greek Life Staff contact information on hand if you have any questions or concerns about Greek Life at Lindenwood University. We are happy to talk with you concerning any questions or concerns!
Coordinator of Student Life & Leadership