Mission, Vision, and Values
The vision of the recreation administration program is to advance individual, social, and community well-being through leisure education and recreational programs that are based on the developmental, preventative, and rehabilitative powers of recreation and leisure.
The mission of the recreation administration program is to promote healthy lifestyles in society by developing students’ understanding and ability to plan, organize, and facilitate challenging and rewarding leisure experiences.
- Student centeredness
- Community connections
- Informed and engaged citizenship
- Diversity and inclusion
- Excellence in teaching and service
- Experiential and traditional instruction
- Theoretical and applied knowledge
- Independent and lifelong learning
Based on the vision, mission, and values of the department, the recreation program is built on the three foundational curriculum areas for leisure services. These three areas include leisure foundations, provisions for services, and management/administration.
- Leisure foundations include the background, nature, and scope of the profession, including its history, philosophy, and social and behavioral science underpinnings.
- Provision for services includes, but is not limited to recreational programming and leadership, inclusive and adapted perspectives, group dynamics, site design and management, and related processes.
- Management/Administration refers to both operational and strategic administration. Operational management includes planning, organizing, staffing, directing, leading, controlling, reporting, financing, marketing, and critical thinking. Strategic administration refers to processes that managers in leisure services use to optimize the success of the organization through creating, maintaining, and deploying plans-of action that address changing circumstances in social, economic, environmental, or financial environments.
- Administration and governance
- Program services
- Site and facility operations
- Financial management
- Public relations and marketing
- Emphasis specialization