Studying a foreign language is a win-win!
It increases job prospects in a variety of careers, it elevates cultural sensitivity, and it satisfies a number of Lindenwood University's General Education requirements.
The multi-cultural world we live in often requires knowledge of a second language. Whether for traveling socially, working as a translator, or leading an international company as an executive, learning a foreign language can increase your career possibilities by making you a more marketable candidate.
The Foreign Languages Program at Lindenwood University offers undergraduate degrees in Spanish, as well as a two-year sequence in German, a two-year sequence in Chinese, and a minor in Asian Studies. We want to prepare you for citizenship in a multi-cultural, multi-lingual global community, as we help you develop linguistic competence and cultural literacy.
Your first two years of study will concentrate on learning functional language skills and developing your understanding of the foreign cultures and civilization through training in listening, comprehension, speaking, reading, and writing in the target language.
After the intermediate level, you will work on advanced language proficiency and cultural awareness through significant exposure to the literature and culture of the country or countries studied. This gives you the opportunity to experience literary masterpieces in their original languages and to increase your knowledge of the traditions, achievements, and lifestyles of the international community.
Studying foreign languages at Lindenwood University provides you with a foundation for graduate study in foreign language, literature, and cultures, and if you desire, prepares you to become a foreign-language teacher by meeting the professional standards represented by the Missouri Content Assessments (MoCA) examinations. You are also strongly encouraged to travel and study in foreign countries and enroll in double majors, such as language/education or language/business, in order to enhance your professional qualifications.
Be ready for any future!
Our graduates have taken many exciting career paths. They work at the United Nations, the Organization of American States, refugee resettlement agencies, Americorps, and job placement agencies, among many others. Others work in the fields of criminal justice, counseling, health care, teaching, museum work, diplomatic work, import/export, finance, international business, customer service, publishing, and nursing.
Degree Programs Offered
Our programs focus on communication and cultural competence.
- You may major in Spanish to perfect your language skills, and use them to their full potential either abroad, or at the work place while completing an internship!
- You may decide to earn a certificate in Spanish to achieve communicational skills and real-life application of those skills in one of our internships.
- You may choose a minor in Spanish to gain competence in the foreign language, acquire cultural knowledge, and maybe travel abroad.
- Additionally, you may take courses in Chinese, German or Asian Studies.
Do you want to practice your foreign language outside of the classroom? Do you struggle with your homework? Visit the Foreign Language lab! We have native and highly competent speakers to help you practice in a low-stakes environment.
Study abroad opportunities are available for you, with semester-long programs in Spain, Costa Rica, and Germany. You will become fully immersed in the culture of your host’s country with the opportunity to use the knowledge and skills you have acquired.
Knowledge of a Foreign Language Creates Opportunities
- Do you want to increase your decision-making capacity while adding a valuable skill to your resume?
- Did you know that learning a foreign language increases your tolerance and empathy?
- Did you know that in the last five years, demand for bilingual workers in the United States has more than doubled? Check the stats!
- Taking a foreign language at Lindenwood is a win-win situation! It will satisfy certain Gen Ed requirements, increase job prospects for any career, and elevate your cultural sensitivity.
- Check the statistics. A foreign language literally pays off!
Our engaging and committed faculty members have traveled, lived abroad, and hold doctoral degrees from top-notch universities, such as CUNY, Mizzou, University of Wisconsin-Madison, and Washington University. They bring to the classroom a wealth of first-hand cultural knowledge and employ the most effective and up-to-date techniques in foreign language learning.