Skip to Main Content

Aug 1

Special Notice Regarding the COVID-19 Pandemic

Roaring Return

For important updates on Lindenwood University campus safety precautions and associated information from public health officials, please visit our Roaring Return page and the CDC's COVID-19 site. Resources for faculty preparing courses for the Roaring Return can be located at

Resources for Study Abroad

U.S. Department of State Resources

Other Useful Resources


Lindenwood University strongly suggests that students purchase insurance before they travel abroad, and in some cases our study abroad partners require it.

There are a number of things that a good insurance plan will cover. Look for a plan that provides health insurance to cover medical expenses while you are abroad, emergency medical evacuation, evacuation in the event of natural or political disaster, accidental death/dismemberment, repatriation of the body, and possibly course cancellation or interruption.

Lindenwood University does not promote any one company or plan, but here are several websites to check:

Many of the sites/companies have very useful study abroad information as well (e.g., lists of doctors by location, drug information and translation services etc.).

In addition, students may want to see if they get complimentary travel coverage through their credit cards or banks. (Such plans may cover the basics, especially if a student does not wish to purchase separate insurance.)

Funding for Study Abroad

Faculty-led Short Term Program scholarships:

Location specific scholarships:

  • Freeman Asia: For students studying abroad in China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea or Thailand.
  • ItaliaRail Scholarship: For students studying abroad in Italy
  • Scholarships to study abroad in Japan
  • Scholarships to study abroad in Norway
  • Butex scholarships: For students studying in England, Scotland or Wales

Summer and Semester general study abroad scholarships:

Study Abroad Refunds

Lindenwood University study abroad is guided by the U.S. State Department Travel Warnings and Alerts when approving study abroad travel. Anyone considering international travel should consult the State Department’s website

While every effort is made to avoid approving travel to a destination where there is a likelihood of trouble arising, occasionally something unexpected occurs. Lindenwood University reserves the right to cancel programs or courses should conditions in country change.

If a course or program is cancelled due to the State Department issuing a Travel Warning and students have not yet left the country, Lindenwood University will

  • Reimburse students for recoverable costs. (Most likely students will lose some money.) It is suggested that students buy insurance to cover this possibility.
  • If possible, the student’s study abroad experience will be moved to the following semester or term. However, the student will still need to re-apply to study abroad and be approved for the travel term.
  • Inform students of other study abroad opportunities for that term/semester or academic year, if applicable.
  • Advise students regarding registration for courses on campus.

If a course or program is cancelled due to the State Department issuing a Travel Warning and students are already in country, Lindenwood University will

  • Help students arrange their return to the U.S. (Most likely students will incur some financial costs.)
  • Refund any recoverable costs. (Most likely students will lose some money.) It is suggested that students buy insurance to cover this possibility.
  • Attempt to arrange for the student to complete academic credit for the semester or term, but that cannot be guaranteed.
  • Assume no responsibility or liability for a student who remains in country after Lindenwood University has cancelled the program.

If the student withdraws from an Lindenwood University program or course and Lindenwood University has not cancelled the program or course, the student is liable for the cancellation fee and non-recoverable costs for that program or course.

If the program or course is organized through an outside agency or institution, the agency’s refund and cancellation policy will determine what happens, even when the trip is cancelled due to low enrollment. Lindenwood University will not refund any money to students once money has been forwarded to the agency or institution.

If a course is not organized through an outside agency or institution and is cancelled due to low enrollment, professor illness, or other unforeseen calamity, Lindenwood University will refund only recoverable costs.

Many thanks to the University of St. Thomas for this policy.

Intercultural Fluency Certificate

Earn credits towards an intercultural fluency certificate by studying abroad! The Intercultural Fluency certificate will allow you to choose from an interdisciplinary menu of courses that will enhance your understanding and appreciation of global diversity while strengthening your ability to live, work, and learn internationally.

Read more information.

Lindenwood University
209 S. Kingshighway
St. Charles, MO 63301