The Lindenwood Review: a journal of literary prose
The Lindenwood Review accepts submissions of original, previously unpublished work from July 1 through October 1 via Submittable (no fee). Beginning with issue 11, our journal will be fully online. We publish short stories, flash fiction, personal essays, lyric essays, flash nonfiction, and prose poems (block format). Submissions are welcome from both emerging and established writers. We are looking for fiction with believable characters and a vivid story; creative nonfiction that is well-crafted and fiercely honest; prose poems with a distinctive atmosphere and interesting use of language; and mostly, work that moves us as readers and inspires us as writers.
- Work may be submitted via Submittable from July 1 through October 1 (no fee).
- Submissions must be the writer’s original work and cannot be previously published in print or online.
- Writers may submit one piece per category each year. Categories include short stories, flash fiction, personal essays, lyric essays, flash nonfiction, and prose poems (block format).
- Simultaneous submissions to other journals are allowed, but we ask to be notified immediately via Submittable if a piece is accepted elsewhere.
- Maximum length for each submission is 15 pages. Minimum length is one paragraph.
- Double-space submissions. Use a standard font size and style.
- Include your name and the title of your submission on the first page of your submission document. List your name exactly as you would like it to appear in the book if accepted for publication.
- In your Submittable entry electronic form, include a brief third-person bio (no more than 100 words) and your email address.
- Work that is not accepted for publication will be noted as Declined in Submittable. No rejection emails will be sent, so please check Submittable for submission status. Acceptance notifications will be sent via email. All publication decisions will be made by February 1.
- Writers accepted for publication receive a book-formatted pdf of their accepted work, along with a link for sharing their work. The full book pdf and individual pieces will be posted online at www.lindenwood.edu/lindenwoodReview.
- NOTE: The number of submissions we can receive each month is limited; during our submission period, if our Submittable page indicates that we are not currently accepting work, that means the month's maximum has been met, so please wait until the beginning of the next month to submit your work.
- Current students and faculty of Lindenwood University are not eligible to submit their work. (Alumni may submit.)
- Do not submit work that has been previously published elsewhere, whether online or in print.
- Do not submit multiple pieces in the same category.
- Do not submit poetry with stanzas/line breaks; only prose poems (block format) may be submitted as of issue 10.
- Submissions will not be considered for publication if they are sent via email/mail or if they do not follow the posted guidelines.
The Lindenwood Review is published each spring; as of issue 11, the journal is moving to a fully online format.
Contact us with any questions at TheLindenwoodReview@lindenwood.edu
NOTE: The number of submissions we can receive each month is limited; during our submission period of July 1 through October 1, if our Submittable page indicates that we are not currently accepting work, that means the month's maximum has been met, so please wait until the beginning of the next month to submit your work (final submission date is October 1).
Updated April 2020