October is National Cyber Security Awareness Month. Protecting University data is one of the highest priorities for Lindenwood University.
Did you know Lindenwood IT successfully blocks over one million spam or malicious emails a month? However, it takes all of us to ensure we have the safest online environment possible. October will be a month-long celebration of cyber security awareness, contests, and opportunities to meet and ask questions of the IT staff and industry professionals.
Do you think you've been a victim of a phishing or spoofing attempt? Don’t click it! Send it! During the month of October, send your phishy emails to PhishingAlerts@lindenwood.edu for chance to win a Starbucks gift card. A student and employee winner will be randomly selected at the end of October. Submit as many attempts as you receive. Your submissions will be collected in the Lindenwood IT Phish Bowl to help make others aware of what phishing attempts look like. Our winners will receive a $25 Starbucks gift card. The grand prize winner will be announced on October 31.
Annual System-wide mandatory password change
During the week of October 21st you will receive a prompt to change your password.
Remember to create challenging passwords. Password phrases with a combination of letters and numbers typically make very strong passwords. For example:
Note: Do not use these passwords they are only examples.
Your Lindenwood password should;
- Be at least 10 characters
- Have no part of your first or last name
- And at least 3 of the following; upper case letter, lowercase letter, number or special character
Remember: Your new university password will allow you access to all the single sign on applications such as, Office 365 and Canvas.
Phishing Cake Celebration
Join us for cake and learn how to take a bite out of cybercrimes.
- St. Charles Campus on October 31, 2019 at LARC GROVE from 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Cybersecurity Awareness Training / Information Sessions
Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA)
As a means to enhance information security practices, Lindenwood University is adopting Multi-Factor Authentication for all faculty and staff accounts in January 2020. Faculty and staff are invited to attend open forum presentations on the new Multi-Factor Authentication system throughout the month of October. Sessions will be held at the following times and locations:
St. Charles Campus
- Tuesday, October 8, 2019 at 10:00 a.m. in the LARC Theater
- Thursday, October 10, 2019 at 2:00 p.m. in Lower Level Spellmann Connection Center (Across from the Computer Lab)
- Thursday, October 17, 2019 at 10:00 a.m. in Lower Level Spellmann Connection Center (Across from the Computer Lab)
- Friday, October 18, 2019 at 2:00 p.m. in the LARC Theater
Cyber Security Partner Presentations and Events
- Checkpoint - Information Security Presentation on Ransomware, Phishing, and Next Generation Attacks
- Thursday, October 24, 2019 at 10:30 a.m. in Lower Level Spellmann Connection Center (Across from the Computer Lab)
- Checkpoint - Hands-On Security Labs
- Thursday, October 24, 2019 at 2:00 p.m. in Lower Level Spellmann Connection Center (Across from the Computer Lab)