LU IRB#: IRB-21-91
PI: Chad Kerksick, PhD
Description of Study
The objective of this project is to assess the body composition, dietary intake, energy expenditure, nutrition knowledge, and energy availability in male and female high school athletes to assist athletes, parents, and coaches in understanding the various physiological demands that high school athletes endure.
Exercise and Performance Nutrition Laboratory (Fieldhouse 126)
209 S Kingshighway St
Saint Charles, MO 63301
Number of Visits
Visits 1: 30-45 Minutes
Visits 2: 60 Minutes
EPNL Shirt (Upon Finish)
Point of Contact
Research Sample Needed
- 75 – 100 high school athletes.
- All participants will be determined to be healthy through completion of a medical history questionnaire.
- All participants must be currently participating in a school-sanctioned sport.
- Male or female high-school-aged athlete.
- Completing some form of sports training, practice, or competition at least three days per week for the past 12 months.
- Eligible participants will have taken no more than a four-week break between periods of training, practice, or competition over the previous 12 months.
- Any individual determined to have a physical injury or determined through review of their medical history to not be able to safely participate in the testing that will be completed.
- Current smoker or any use of any nicotine (chewing, “vaping”, etc.).
- Any participant diagnosed with a metabolic disorder (e.g., diabetes/Type I, thyroid) or taking medications known to impact metabolic regulation.
- Any individual being diagnosed with or is currently under the care of a physician for a cardiac, respiratory, metabolic, immunological, musculoskeletal, renal, hepatic, gastrointestinal, psychiatric, or circulatory disease.
- Individuals enrolled in college.
- Individuals not enrolled in high school or a high school equivalent home school curriculum.
- Any individual not meeting the minimum exercise training requirements.
- Individuals who are pregnant.
Are You Eligible?
Information provided here reflects current IRB approval for this research. However, this information may be subject to change and updated accordingly.
Dr. Chad Kerksick
Economic Education Center
Esports Performance and Innovation Center (EPIC)
Exercise and Performance Nutrition Lab (EPNL)
Participate in Research
- Participate in Research
The Hammond Institute for Free Enterprise
Center for Engaged Learning
- Career Services
Student Academic Showcase
Student Advising and Support Services (SASS)
Academic Support Services
- Academic Support Services