The Dance Program coordinates a variety of opportunities for students to network with internationally recognized artists. These experiences include lectures, demonstrations, master classes, assessment classes, and week-long residencies that culminate in an original work for the stage.
2023-2024 Guest Artists
Sam McReynolds is a freelance dance artist originally from St. Louis, MO, where he received his BFA in Dance at Lindenwood University and trained closely under hip-hop choreographer/instructor REDD Williams. He quickly discovered a deep passion for choreography/creation throughout his college career. He expanded his understanding of dance greatly through his experience exploring the movement language known as “Gaga” here in the U.S. and in Tel Aviv, Israel. Since moving to LA in 2016, he has worked with several choreographers and dance companies, such as Sarah Elgart/Arrogant Elbow, Brian Friedman, Marguerite Derricks, No)one. Art House, Ate9 Dance Company, WHYTEBERG, Fabe Dance, The TL Collective, Sidra Bell, Bryan Arias, and many more. He often returns to Kansas City, MO to dance for Owen/Cox Dance Group. His relationship with the company has only grown stronger over the years.
As an educator, Sam has served as a contemporary teacher/choreographer at several studios around the St. Louis area, and most recently in LA and Orange County, CA. He has been on faculty with Joffrey Ballet School for the past two years, where he taught and choreographed for the JoffreyRED and Joffrey West Intensives. He also taught intermediate, advanced, and professional level contemporary this past season at Dmitri Kulev Classical Ballet Academy.
As a choreographer, Sam has presented live original works in LA at CONGRESS: Legalize Dance, Club Jete, LAVENDER, Stage & Screen Show, LA Dance Festival International Exchange, and VOICES: Queer Artist Showcase. In May of 2021, he won the Best New Filmmaker Award at the Dare to Dance in Public Film Festival for his dance short film Proclamation, which he conceptualized, directed, co-choreographed, and edited. He occasionally holds "GREYaRea" sessions, most consistently at Stomping Ground LA, which serve as a space to workshop movement with dancers of all levels and backgrounds. He has also had the pleasure of hosting several improv jams with live accompaniment and lighting installation. Sam finds much of his inspiration and passion for dance through improvisation both as a mover and an observer.
Stay tuned for more guest artist announcements!
- Francesca Baron - Still Inspired(?) (2020)
- Diana Barrios - Leverage Dance Theater (2015)
- Summer Beasley - Karlovsky & Company Dance (2016)
- Nickolas and Zackary Betty Neagle - NSquared Dance (2019)
- Gabriella Billy - Modern American Dance Company (2023)
- Marcus Bugler - Metropolitan Opera Ballet, Nevada Ballet Theatre (2006 and 2007)
- Denise Caston - Broadway Dance Center (2008)
- Jovan Dansberry - King Kong on Broadway (2019)
- Gina Daugherty - Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2021)
- Paula David Young - The Big Muddy Dance Company (2009 and 2012)
- Joy Davis - Countertechnique (2016)
- Christian Denise - Les Ballets Jazz de Montreal (2018)
- Ali Duffy - Flatlands Dance Theatre (2014)
- Alicia Gbaho - Beyond Measure Dance Theater (2019)
- Kate Harpootlian - Shaping Sound Dance Co. (2018)
- Trevor Harrison - Diavolo (2011)
- Keli Hermes - Leverage Dance Theater (2015)
- Madison Hicks - Moving Forward Dallas (2021)
- Kile Hotchkiss - Keigwin & Co. (2013)
- Brandon Hudson - b90creative (2021 and 2023)
- Audrey Johnston - RACE Dance Collective, Oklahoma City Ballet (2022)
- Eileen Juric - Power Dance Technique (2021)
- John Lehrer - Lehrer Dance (2008, 2009, and 2010)
- Devon Lloyd, Brittany Latta, and Company - Hot Crowd (2022)
- Joshua Manculich - Sam Houston State University (2021)
- Rian Martin-Jones - Independent Artist (2022)
- Samuel McReynolds - McDonald Selznick Associates (2016 and 2019)
- Ashley McQueen - Smashworks Dance (2018)
- Michael Mizeraney - Malashock Dance (2009, 2010, and 2012)
- Alicia Okouchi-Guy - Chapman University (2008 and 2013)
- Rafael Quintas - EDGE Performing Arts Center (2015 and 2019)
- Christina Robson - Bill T. Jones/Arnie Zane Company (2015)
- Madison Steitz - Modern American Dance Company (2021)
- Tanya Strautmann Horiuchi - St. Louis Ballet (2017)
- Ashley Tate - Ashleyliane Dance Company (2018)
- Erin Warner Prange - The Big Muddy Dance Company (2018)
- Keith Tyrone Williams - Innervision Dance Theatre (2019)
- Nejla Yatkin - NY2 Dance (2013)
The Dance Program also coordinates regular field trips with local professional dance companies and arts organizations.
- American College Dance Association
- Ashleyliane Dance Company
- The Big Muddy Dance Company
- Leverage Dance Theater
- Modern American Dance Company
- MoSTLy Tap
- National Dance Week St. Louis
The Dance Program also helps to maintain SYNERGY, the Lindenwood University Student Dance Club.
The club is an active organization that works to unify students in dance. Synergy creates an environment which inspires and enables dancers of all backgrounds to discover their potential, strive for excellence, and improve their technique. SYNERGY also coordinates additional opportunities for guests in dance.