Lindenwood University upholds a mission of diversity, equity, and inclusion for all. As a key part of advancing this mission, we are pleased to offer the Inclusive Leadership Scholarship. The Inclusive Leadership Scholarship recognizes exceptional student leaders who exhibit a passion for inclusivity and who will advocate for a diverse, inclusive, and accepting campus community.
The scholarship can be used to cover education-related expenses including tuition, fees, room and board. Each recipient will receive an award of $2,000 per year, for up to eight consecutive semesters of undergraduate study. This scholarship is stackable with other awards, up to the full cost of attendance.
In addition to the financial award, recipients will also receive support through the PILLAR Program (Promoting Inclusive Learning Leadership and Retention). The PILLAR Program helps students successfully transition into their undergraduate journey by providing learning and leadership opportunities that support and encourage their academic success, financial security, sense of belonging, and career development; thus promoting their ability to persist, have the tools to overcome challenges they will face, and develop a solid support system.
To be eligible for the Inclusive Leadership Scholarship, you must be a new traditional student (freshman or transfer) who has applied and is admissible to Lindenwood University for Fall 2021. Applicants must fulfill the following requirements:
- Submit an application for the Inclusive Leadership Scholarship
- Submit a resume
- Submit personal essays answering the three selected questions (below)
Recipients of the Inclusive Leadership Scholarship will be required to participate in the PILLAR Program. This will include participating in a monthly group meeting, a monthly one-on-one meeting with the Center for Diversity & Inclusion staff, community service, and inclusive leadership development. Specific workshops and topics will be covered for students based on the curriculum for their classification (i.e. first-year, sophomore, junior, or senior). To renew the scholarship, students must be in good academic standing and an active member in PILLAR. The scholarship is renewable each year, up to eight consecutive semesters.
The deadline for the Inclusive Leadership Scholarship application is Monday, February 1, 2021. A committee will review the applicant submissions and recipients of the scholarship will be notified by Friday, February 19, 2021.
As a part of the Inclusive Leadership Scholarship application, you will write a short essay answer to each the following questions, aimed to help us get to know you and your potential as a leader on Lindenwood’s campus:
- How have your diverse experiences and identities (cultural heritage, race, gender, socio-economic background, family, work, sexual orientation, and/or first generation, etc.) contributed to who you are today and your pursuit of a college education?
- In your answer please describe your experience with diversity and your commitment to bring diverse groups together in the Lindenwood University Community.
- If you were charged with developing a community service project for the Inclusive Leadership Scholarship recipients, what project would you choose? Why did you choose this specific project? Make sure to include how your personal experiences will contribute to the success of the project.
- How have your diverse experiences built your empathy toward others, your resilience, your character, and your perspective?