Bursar's Office



Why didn’t I receive a 1098-T from Lindenwood?

  • You did not have any qualified educational payments within the tax year; therefore, a 1098-T form was not generated for you
  • Your total grants and scholarships were higher than your total tuition and fees; therefore, a 1098-T form was not generated for you
  • Your 1098-T was mailed to the wrong address.

If you did not have a current address on file with the University then your form may have gone astray. You can obtain your 1098-T online through your Student Portal under “My 1098-T”

  • You were a visa student who did not have a valid Social Security Number (SSN) on file.
  • You have a valid Social Security Number (SSN), but did not provide Lindenwood with the information

How is the 1098-T form issued?
1098-T forms are sent in physical form to the billing address on file and made available online through the Student Portal under “My 1098-T”. The 1098-T form cannot be distributed by e-mail or fax.

Who can claim the Hope or American Opportunity Tax Credit?
An eligible taxpayer may claim them. An eligible taxpayer may be the student or, if the student is a dependent for federal income tax purposes, the person (e.g., parent) claiming the student as a dependent. A student who is a dependent cannot claim the tax credits or deduction on his or her own tax return.

Am I eligible for a tax credit?
To determine the correct amount, if any, to enter on your tax return, please consult your tax advisor, your personal expense records, and your Billing Ledger on your Student Portal. Employees of Lindenwood University cannot offer assistance with tax form preparation. Please do not contact the school for that purpose.

The responsibility for individual tax circumstances rests with the taxpayer alone, and Lindenwood University cannot take any responsibility for your interpretation of this information.

What educational expenses are considered as qualified tuition and related expenses?
Qualified tuition and related expenses are tuition and fees required for enrollment or attendance at an eligible educational institution that were paid on or after January 1 and on or before December 31 of the tax year. They do not include books, residential charges, student activities, athletics (unless the course is part of the degree program), insurance, equipment, transportation, or other similar personal, living or family expenses. 

I paid my tuition and related expenses with student loans. Can I still claim a tax credit?
Yes. Loan funds should be considered in the same manner as cash payments when calculating the Hope Credit, the American Opportunity Tax Credit or the Higher Education Tuition and Fees Deduction. However, and scholarships, grants, or other non-taxable aid must be deducted from the amount of qualified tuition and related expenses paid.

What is considered a Scholarship or Grant in Box 5 on my 1098-T?
Scholarships and grants generally include all payments received from 3rd parties (excluding family members and loan proceeds). This includes payments received from governmental and private entities such as the Department of Defense, civic, and religious organizations, and nonprofit entities. See the IRS specific instruction for form 1098-T.