Skip to Main Content

Admitted International Students

New International Student Spring 2018 Orientation Schedule


Tuesday January 2:

Airport pick-ups (Look for Lindenwood University Signs in the bag claim area at designated times)

Wednesday January 3:

9:00am-12:00 pm: New International Student Check-in

(Hyland Performance Arena)


12:00 pm- 1:00pm- Lunch


1:00pm-2:00 pm: New student welcome and orientation with the Office of International Students and Scholars (Library and Academic Resources Center- Theater, 3rd floor)


2:00pm-4:00 pm: English Placement Test

(Library and Academic Resources Center- Rooms 309 and 214)


5:30pm- 7:30pm: New student welcome dinner (Library and Academic Resources Center- Atrium, 3rd floor)

Thursday, January 4:

8:15am-9:15 am: Breakfast

9:30am-10:15 am: ESL Interviews (Library and Academic Resources Center- Room 214)

11:30pm- 12:15pm: Lunch

12:30pm- 4:00pm: Walmart Shuttles

(Meet outside Library and Academic Resources Center)

5:00pm- 6:00pm: Dinner


Friday January 5:

8:15am-9:15am: Breakfast


9:30am-10:30am: Academics at Lindenwood- Dr. Romero- Ghiretti, Associate Professor of Spanish (Library and Academic Resources Center- Theater, 3rd floor)

10:45am-11:00am: Student Involvement and Campus Activities

(Library and Academic Resources Center- Theater, 3rd floor)

11:00am-11:15am: Financial Matters

(Library and Academic Resources Center- Theater, 3rd floor)


11:15am-11:30am: Campus Safety

(Library and Academic Resources Center- Theater, 3rd floor)


11:30am-12:00pm: Chaplain Office introduction with Dr. Torbitzky, Assistant Professor of Religion (Library and Academic Resources Center- Theater, 3rd floor)

12:15pm- 1:00pm: Lunch


1:00pm- 3:00pm: Schedule Changes and pick up ESL semester schedule (Office of International Students and Scholars- 2nd floor Library and Academic Resources Center)










































Applying for a U.S. Student Visa

The Department of State issues visas at U.S. embassies and consulates. A visa allows you to travel to the United States for a specific purpose. To identify the U.S. embassy or consulate that is most convenient for you to visit, go to the website of the embassy or consulate and follow the instructions on the site to do the following:

  • Pay your visa fee
  • Obtain acceptable photographs
  • Complete your on-line DS 160 visa application
  • Schedule an appointment for your visa interview

You should make your appointment for your visa interview as soon as possible after receiving your Form I-20 and paying the I-901 SEVIS fee. When you come for your appointment, a consular official will electronically scan your fingerprints. You must bring the following documentation to the interview:

  • Form I-20 issued by Lindenwood University
  • Printed Form DS-160, “Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application,” confirmation page
  • Passport valid for at least six months after you plan to enter the United States
  • Two-inch by two-inch photo of yourself (learn more about photo requirements)
  • Receipt for your $160 visa application fee payment
  • Receipt for your I-901 SEVIS fee payment

The visa interview is your opportunity to tell the consular officer about your plans while in the United States and what you will do when you have completed your studies. You should be prepared to show the following:

  • You have received acceptance to Lindenwood University. Your Form I-20 verifies this.
  • You have the financial ability to pay for school costs plus living expenses (the amount shown on Form I-20). You may want to bring copies of financial documents you provided to the Lindenwood University. These documents are evidence of the preparations you have made to finance your stay (e.g., bank statements).
  • You are prepared for the academic program in which you plan to enroll. You may want to bring copies of any standardized test scores, academic transcripts, diplomas or certificates from previous study you provided as part of your application to the school where you want to enroll.
  • Your stay in the United States is temporary (i.e., you are not permanently immigrating).
  • The interviewing official may be interested in how you intend to use the education you receive in the United States when you return home.

Arrival and Orientation Dates

Upon arrival to Lindenwood University, all new incoming students must report to the Office of International Students and Scholars for check-in.

Undergraduates, and graduate students who are unable to attend the mandatory check-in and orientation session have 15 days after the first day of class to report to the Office of International Students and Scholars. Failure to report to the Office of International Students and Scholars could jeopardize your immigration and academic status.

Getting to campus from Lambert St. Louis Airport:

If you are arriving during Orientation Week, please check the Airport Pick-Up information regarding Lindenwood transportation. You will need to provide your flight information so we can help arrange appropriate transportation.

If you are arrive after the scheduled pick-up day, the University does not offer transportation from the airport in St. Louis to the Campus. In order to make it to campus, you will need to take a taxi. Tell the taxi driver to take you to Lindenwood University. It will cost you around $30.00 USD and only take about 15 minutes. When you arrive on campus, be sure to check in with the International Student Center. If it is after hours, please check in with the security department. They will take you to a room for the night. You will check in the next day.

What the University provides:

The university will provide you with a room, bed, desk, closet, bedding, pillow, towels and access to bathroom facilities.


What to Bring:

You may want to bring some of these items with you, or you can purchase them from local stores upon your arrival:  toiletries, medicines, shower curtain, laundry detergent, etc.

Travel Tips

  • Before leaving your country, confirm that your passport and nonimmigrant visa are still valid for entry into the United States. The passport should be valid for at least six months beyond the date of your expected stay. Also, make sure that the international student advisor knows about your travel plans and expected arrival date.
  • Check to see that your visa accurately reflects your correct visa classification.
  • Students and exchange visitors entering the United States for the first time under their respective nonimmigrant visa classification may only be admitted up to 30-days prior to the program start date.
  • When you receive your U.S. nonimmigrant visa at the Embassy or Consulate in your country, the consular officer will seal your immigration documents in an envelope and attach it to your passport.
  • You should not open this envelope! The Customs and Border Protection Officer at the U.S. port–of-entry will open the envelope.
  • When you travel, you should carry some specific documents on your person. Do not check them in your baggage! If your baggage is lost or delayed, you will not be able to show the documents to the Customs and Border Protection Officer and, as a result, may not be able to enter the United States.


Documents you should carry with you:

  • Passport (including attached envelope of immigration documents) with nonimmigrant visa;
  • SEVIS Form I-20AB;
  • Visa exempt nationals presenting a SEVIS Form I-20AB, I-20MN or DS-2019 issued on or after September 1, 2004, who are entering the United States for the first time should have a Form I-797, Receipt Notice or Internet Receipt verifying SEVIS Fee payment. Refer to the U.S Immigration and Customs Enforcement website for additional SEVP/SEVIS Program Information;
  • Evidence of financial resources.

In addition, it is recommended that you also carry the following documents:

  • Evidence of Student/Exchange Visitor status (recent tuition receipts, transcripts);
  • Name and contact information for Designated School Official (DSO) or Responsible Officer (RO) at your intended school or program;

If you are traveling by aircraft, the flight attendants on board will distribute CF-6059 Customs Declaration Forms and Form I-94, Arrival-Departure Record for immigration, before you land at your initial point-of-entry in the U.S. Complete these forms while you are on the aircraft and submit them to the appropriate Customs and Border Protection Officer upon your arrival. If you do not understand a form, ask the flight attendant for assistance.

Upon arrival at the port-of-entry, proceed to the terminal area for arriving passengers for inspection. As you approach the inspection station, ensure that you have: passport, SEVIS Form I-20; completed Form I-94 Arrival-Departure Record; and, CF-6059 Customs Declaration Form available for presentation to the CBP Officer. The Form I-94 should reflect the address where you will reside.

If you are entering through a land or designated seaport, the Customs and Border Protection Officer will provide the necessary CF-6059, Customs Declaration Form and Form I-94, Arrival-Departure Record at the port-of-entry. If you do not understand a form, ask the CBP Officer for assistance.

Like all entering visitors, you will be asked to state the reason you wish to enter the United States. Your answer should be "Student". Keep your answers simple and direct. If they want to know the name of the school, tell them the name of the school, without any extraneous information. If they want more information, they will ask additional questions.

If you are authorized optional practical training, this should be reflected on page 3 of your SEVIS Form.

Once your inspection is complete, the inspecting officer will:

  • Stamp your SEVIS Form for duration of status (“D/S”) for F;
  • Stamp the Form I-94 and staple it in the passport;
  • Return the SEVIS Form.

Secondary Inspection Requirements:

If the inspector cannot automatically verify your information or you do not have all of the required documentation, you may be escorted to an interview area known as “secondary inspection.” Secondary inspection allows inspectors to conduct additional research in order to verify information. Verifications are done apart from the primary inspection lines so that an individual case will not cause delays for other arriving passengers.

It is recommended that you have readily available the name and phone number of the foreign student advisor at your school in case your admission/participation needs to be verified. In the event you arrive during non-business hours (evenings, weekends, holidays), you should have a phone number where this individual can be reached during non-business hours.

Failure to provide proper documentation and to comply with entry/exit procedures is cause to refuse the student admission into the United States. In limited circumstances, if a student is mostly, but not fully in compliance, he/she may be issued a Form I-515A, Notice to Student or Exchange Visitor. This form authorizes temporary admission for 30 days into the United States and requires the student or exchange visitor to take immediate action to submit proper documentation. Noncompliance with the directions contained on these forms can result in future adverse action.

Continuing Students:

Continuing students who are going to travel outside of the United States must see their foreign student advisor and obtain an endorsement. The endorsement will be made on page 3 of the SEVIS Form I-20 or. When returning to the United States, a continuing student/exchange visitor must present a valid SEVIS Form I-20 with the DSO signature showing that the student is active and in good standing with the school or program.

Before you start packing, please go to the Transportation security administration website and check the regulations for air travel to the United States.

Apply for Housing

International students who wish to reside on campus are required to fill out the General Housing Application through StarRez. We ask that international students do not make the housing deposit until a U.S visa has been confirmed.

Once a U.S visa is confirmed, students can make the housing deposit and will receive a housing assignment by the Office of Residential Life.

Learn more on how residential life at Lindenwood University could be the perfect fit for you.

Financial Arrangements

The Business Office at Lindenwood University strives to provide assistance in billing and financial advising to our students. Upon acceptance into Lindenwood University, students will be designated an account representative that will assist them with payment and billing.

Learn more on how to contact your designated account representative.

The Business Office has teamed up with flywire to provide a streamlined way to make international wires for deposits and tuition payments. It’s fast, simple, and secure from any country anytime. Flywire now allows international students to make payment without ever missing a payment deadline.

Learn more on other payment options the Business Office provides.

The Business Office requires student accounts to be paid before the tuition due dates for each specified term. Learn more about the payment due dates for each academic term.


As an F-1 Student, you are not eligible for off-campus employment, except for what is listed below. DO NOT RELY ON WORKING OFF CAMPUS TO PAY FOR YOUR TUITION!!! YOU MUST BE ABLE TO SHOW THAT YOU CAN AFFORD TO PAY FOR SCHOOL BEFORE YOU ARE GRANTED A VISA.

Curricular Practical Training
Curricular practical training (CPT) is another type of training, available to students who must work as part of their degree requirements. This is for an internship, only! In order to apply for curricular practical training, you must be registered for a course at Lindenwood University that requires off-campus employment, such as an internship course, and you must get a letter from your professor that the credits received for your internship will count towards your degree requirements. The ISO must endorse and approve all applications for CPT.

Paid Internships
If you would like to do a paid internship related to your major, but not as part of a class requirement, you will not be allowed to do so. It must be for academic credit.

Unpaid Internships
If you would like to do an unpaid internship, you do not need to get permission from US CIS.. As long as you are not receiving compensation of any kind, and you are not replacing a paid employee with your internship, you are allowed to do an internship at any off-campus location. A letter from the employer stating that you will not be compensated and that you are not replacing a paid employee must be submitted to the International Student Center.

Please take a look at the application materials needed for CPT authorization

Economic Hardship:
If you suffer from unforeseen financial difficulties, due to circumstances beyond your control, you may be able to apply for work authorization based on economic hardship. In order to apply, you must provide proof that your financial sponsor has unexpectedly suffered financial difficulties. This may be due to sudden fluctuations in your country's currency, a sponsor losing their job, death of financial sponsor, or similar circumstances. You will also have to show that you made genuine attempts to obtain on-campus employment before seeking the economic hardship work permit, and that the on-campus jobs were either not available or were insufficient. Most applications for this authorization are denied.


Social Security Numbers: You may not apply for a social security number unless you have been authorized to work by the United States US CIS.

Optional Practical Training
Optional practical training (OPT) allows F-1 students to gain working experience off-campus in their field of study. While most students choose to use their practical training after they complete their studies, you can actually start practical training while you are still in school. You must be in the United States on a F-1 visa for at least one academic year before applying. The process for obtaining authorization from the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (US CIS) takes about 60 - 90 days. The International Student Center will assist you in completing the application and must endorse you application before it is sent to US CIS. The maximum time for doing practical training is 12 months full-time. You can do part of your practical training before you graduate, and part of it after, although each separate period of practical training requires a $180 fee payable to the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Health Insurance and Health Care

The United States does not provide socialized medicine. Because medical care can be very expensive, it is important to have health insurance, even if the school does not require it.

Medical Emergencies:

If you need an ambulance or emergency medical care, dial 911 on any phone 24 hours a day. You can also dial 0 to reach the operator. They will send an ambulance to transport you to a hospital emergency room. The hospital will need the name of your health insurance company and policy number, so you should always carry your health insurance card with you.

Medical Records:

Bring a copy of your medical records with you to the US, including immunization and vaccination records and prescriptions. It is generally a good idea to visit your doctor before you leave for the US.

Health Insurance:

International students should note that in addition to tuition, fees, room and board, and living expenses, they will have to pay for health insurance. The federal government does not require students on an F-1 visa to have health insurance, but having one is always a good idea.

There are a variety of student health insurance programs that are available to international students. Choose one that best fits your needs.

Finding a Doctor or Dentist:

If a friend cannot direct you to a physician or dentist, you may call HTH Worldwide and request a list of available physicians in St. Charles area or look in the Yellow Pages. It is essential to telephone for an appointment before going to a doctor or dentist. You may have to wait a few days for an appointment unless you are sick or in need of a doctor immediately.

Nearby Hospitals and Clinics:

St Joseph Health Center – 300 1st Capitol Dr; (636) 947-5000
St. Charles County Dept of Community Health & the Environment - 1650 Boonslick; (636) 949-7400
Barnes-Jewish St. Peters Hospital - 10 Hospital Dr., St. Peters; (636) 916-9000
Logan College, Chiropractic Center - 2067 Zumbehl Road; (636) 1-800-782-3344
St. Charles Clinic & Pharmacy - 2850 West Clay; (636) 946-7838
Volunteer in Medicine – (636)724-4848
St. Charles Optical Co. - 1001 Fairgrounds Road; (636) 946-6763

Notice of Availability of the Annual Security and Fire Safety Report

Lindenwood University is committed to assisting all members of the community in providing for their own safety and security. The annual security and fire safety report is available on the Lindenwood University Office of Public Safety and Security website. 

If you would like to receive a hard copy of the Annual Security and Fire Safety Report which contains this information, you can stop by the Office of Public Safety & Security on the 4th floor of the Spellmann Campus Center or you can request that a copy be mailed to you by calling (636) 949-4687.

The report contains information regarding campus security and personal safety including topics such as: crime prevention, public safety authority, crime reporting policies, fire safety, disciplinary procedures and other matters of importance related to security on campus. The report also contains information about fire statistics in Lindenwood Residential Facilities and crime statistics for the three previous calendar years concerning reported crimes that occurred on campus; in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by Lindenwood; and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from the campus.

This information is required by law and is provided by Office of Public Safety and Security.

Lindenwood University
209 S. Kingshighway
St. Charles, MO 63301