For over 100 years, Lindenwood had been using 1827 as its founding year. The origins of this began when a book, Reminiscences of Lindenwood College (1920), used the date. In recent years it has been determined that the date was incorrect. Through the Sibleys’ correspondence and journal entries, there is undeniable evidence that they moved to St. Charles in 1828; built the first structure in 1829; and began the school in 1832.
At the Board of Trustees meeting on February 10, 2023, the Board reviewed significant information and voted to approve the change of Lindenwood’s founding year.