The Lindenwood University system will take part in World Kindness Day on Nov. 13, 2018. This internationally recognized day was established by the Random Acts of Kindness Foundation in an effort spread the message of kindness and make kindness the norm. The theme for St. Charles campus is “Lions are Kind to Lions” and at Belleville, “Lynx are Kind to Lynx.” Five minutes of “no cell phones” will be observed from 12:20 to 12:25 p.m.in order to promote face-to-face conversation and kindness.
Lindenwood students and departments will participate with events scheduled throughout the day.
- Student Involvement will write letters of gratitude in Evans Commons from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- SASS will offer free popcorn in the LARC from 2 to 5 p.m.
- Student Counseling Resource Center will write cards for a local nursing home.
- Health Sciences will have a “Kindness Wall” in the Field House.
- Sophomore Council will hold a “Thank You” drive for maintenance and housekeeping.
- Human Resources will send thank-you cards to departments on campus.
- Residential Life will have “Pledge to Kindness” banners
- Career Services will have positive messages in the Spellmann Center from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Student Life and Diversity will have a “Thank You” banner in the Veterans Center.
- University Relations will donate a Thanksgiving food basket for a local family.
- Athletics will send cards and food to staff as a “thank you.”
- Lindenwood Student Government will have notes of kindness in LARC from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Dr. Shane Williamson, associate vice president, Student Life and Diversity at St. Charles, and Dr. Suzy Jones, dean of students at Belleville, suggested the day be celebrated at both campuses.
“Dr. Jones and I met and developed this day for both campuses to bring a sense of kindness, encourage verbal communication, and care for our community. We believe random acts of kindness can make our community a better place where we all feel valued.“ Williamson said.