Skip to Main Content

Faculty and Staff Wellness Referrals

Faculty/Staff: How to Make a Student Referral to The Wellness Center: Student Counseling Services

  1. Suggest to the student that s/he calls or comes in to Student Counseling Services to make an appointment. Give The Wellness Center’s phone number (636-949-4525) to the student you are concerned about, along with its location (Evans Commons…3rd Floor in The Wellness Center). Your sincere concern will most likely prompt the student to act.
  2. If you wish to be certain the student makes an appointment, call Student Counseling Services while the student is in your office. Remember: adult-students must be a part of the appointment-setting process.
  3. If the student appears to be in an emergency situation, follow #2 above. During your call to The Wellness Center, make sure to clearly state that the student is in need of an “emergency appointment”. If Student Counseling Services is immediately available to provide this help, call Security (636-949-4911) to have them transport the student to the Student Counseling Services’ office at The Wellness Center in Evans Commons.
  4. If it is clear a “Duty to Warn” or Duty Protect exists, or if the student is determined to be suicidal/homicidal; immediately call Security (636-949-4911) for assistance. In this case, however, Security will take very different action. They will come quickly to where you are, in order to assist you with the student. They will then call 911 so that the student can be transported to the nearest Emergency Room for a mental health evaluation.
  5. “Duty to Warn” comes into play if a student communicates a threat of suicide, communicates a plan to commit suicide, and communicates an intent to act on this plan. “Duty to Warn” also comes into play when a student communicates a threat to harm another person (or people), communicates a plan to carry out this action, and communicates an intent to act on this plan. When “Duty to Warn” comes into play, we are legally obligated to act.
  6. If you have concerns about a student, but are uncertain of the need to refer, or if the student rejects your referral attempt, feel free to call Student Counseling Services for a consultation about the situation. You and the Director of Counseling (or a senior intern) can confer about the student and the situation.
  7. Because our email system is not encrypted, avoid sending sensitive student information via email, unless you send this information in a pass word protected Word document as an attachment with the email you send. Do not send sensitive student information via text; it is a non-secure mode of data transmission.
  8. If you want Student Counseling Services to contact the student you have concerns about, we will ask you to give us permission to reveal your name to this student as the concerned staff/faculty member. You have the right to deny this permission…in order to remain anonymous.
Lindenwood University
209 S. Kingshighway
St. Charles, MO 63301