Domains and Competencies
Domain 1 – Visionary Leadership
- Knows the importance of a vision and how it relates to the context and culture of the school community.
- Understands the importance of all stakeholders knowing the collective mission, vision and core values.
- Understands how multiple sources of data are connected to a mission, vision and core values and the legal and ethical handling of information.
Domain 2 – Instructional Leadership
- Understands standards as they apply to horizontal and vertical alignment of local curricula and content areas.
- Understands a variety of research-based instructional practices and how to appropriately match learning content.
- Understands and engages in meaningful feedback related to effective teacher practice.
- Understands how to assess student learning using a variety of formal and informal assessments.
- Knows, uses and understands multiple strategies for analyzing data to inform the instructional process.
- Understands the principles of adult learning and how these help develop teacher capacity and legal decisions impacting instruction.
Domain 3 – Managerial Leadership
- Knows how a safe and functional school facility and grounds support student learning.
- Understands how routines, procedures and schedules support the school environment.
- Understands tools used to determine key attributes of effective personnel and the legal and ethical decisions impacting evaluation.
- Understands the necessity of establishing and communicating clear expectations, guidelines and procedures respecting the rights of all staff and students.
- Understands the role of observation, feedback and intervention for improving or removing personnel.
- Is knowledgeable of legal and ethical requirements regarding personnel records and reports.
- Understands the legalities of how a school budget works and the major sources of revenue available to support school goals and priorities.
- Understands how non-fiscal resources support school goals and priorities.
Domain 4 - Relational School Leadership
- Knows how and why analysis of student demographics is used to determine the overall diversity of a school and its impact on the teaching and learning process.
- Understands the in-school and out-of-school strategies and resources available to support the welfare of each student.
- Understands how to build positive relationships in support of student learning and well-being.
- Understands the components of building effective relationships with staff and cultivating ethical behaviors in others.
- Understands how to develop a culture of support and respect among staff.
- Serves as a teacher leader and understands the importance of promoting teacher leadership.
- Understands a variety of strategies and legal implications for building relationships with families.
- Recognizes the importance of building positive relationships with other community stakeholders.
Domain 5 – Innovative Leadership
- Recognizes knowledge, skills and best practices that support continuous professional growth.
- Understands the need for professional networks as a key element of professional growth.
- Understands the importance of reflection and a commitment to ongoing learning.
- Understands the importance of feedback for improving performance.
- Understands how time management is a key factor for maintaining a focus on school priorities.
- Recognizes that beliefs based on new knowledge and understandings are used as a catalyst for change.
- Is flexible and willing to vary an approach when circumstances change and models ethical personal conduct.