Skip to Main Content

Early Access: Master of Arts in Teaching

With the approval of a committee of School of Education faculty, students maintaining an undergraduate cumulative and major GPA of 3.0 may take up to nine semester hours at the graduate level during their senior year. These hours will count towards the Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) degree, but not toward the bachelor’s degree. Students in the early access program must maintain a 3.0 or higher in all EDU courses. A student must be enrolled in at least 12 semester hours of undergraduate classes each semester that he or she is taking MAT credits under this option.

Application for MAT Early Access is electronic and can be found on Lindenwood website.

  1. Is there an overload fee? As long as you do not exceed a combined enrollment of more than 18 hours in the semester there is not an overload fee. If you receive approval and enroll in more than 18 hours you will be charged the standard overload fee as stated in the Lindenwood undergraduate catalog.
  2. How does this affect financial aid? It will not affect your financial aid – you are required to be enrolled in a minimum of 12 undergraduate hours.
  3. What forms and signatures do you need? You will need to complete an application to the Early Access to the MAT Program. This form can be obtained from the School of Education or online. You will need to submit this form to Anita Hoeffner located in Warner Hall or Your academic records will be reviewed by a committee, and if you meet the requirements, your paperwork will be sent to the Vice President of Academic Affairs for approval. You will be notified of your status and your education advisor’s name via email after the process has been completed. You will then need to meet with your advisor to complete an enrollment form and create a plan for completion of the MAT after your undergraduate degree has been conferred.
  4. Why would I want to do this? If you enter the Lindenwood MAT program after graduation, both the total cost of the program and the time to complete the degree will be reduced, especially if you take MAT courses in the summer term. You will also be exempt from taking the Missouri General Education Assessment.
  5. What is the maximum number of courses I can take prior to receiving my bachelor degree? Students are permitted to enroll in no more than six credit hours of EDU graduate course work per semester and to complete no more than nine credit hours graduate work prior to receiving a bachelor’s degree.
  6. Who can apply to the early access program? Any Lindenwood student in an eligible bachelor’s degree program who has completed a minimum of 84 undergraduate hours with a minimum cumulative and major GPA of 3.00 is eligible to apply.
  7. What bachelor’s degrees work for this program? Your undergraduate degree must be closely related to your certification area, and you must pass a content assessment in that subject area. Please see the MAT Early Access application for a complete list of certification areas. The alignment of your undergraduate major and your certification area depends on state teacher certification requirements.
  8. How much does this cost? Six hours per semester and no more than a total of nine credit hours will be included in your undergraduate full time tuition, and therefore you will be able to take up to three of your required EDU courses without charge. Book expenses and lab fees for any EDU courses will be at your expense.
  9. Is there a minimum GPA to remain in the program? Yes. You must maintain a minimum undergraduate cumulative and in major GPA of 3.00 and a minimum cumulative graduate GPA of 3.00.
  10. Am I automatically accepted to the Graduate School once I have completed my undergraduate program? No. This allows you the opportunity to enroll in the Early Access MAT program. You will need to complete the process of applying to the Lindenwood graduate program. You also need to take the Missouri Content Assessment in the area you wish to become certified. It is recommended you take this assessment senior year. See this website for a list of assessments:
    You must still apply for admission to the Department of Teacher Education through Foliotek. You will not be admitted until your undergraduate degree has been conferred.
  11. Which EDU courses can I take for the MAT Early Access? You may only enroll in EDU 50000 Foundations of Education (30 hours of field experience required, including background check), EDU 50200 Psychology of Teaching and Learning, EDU 54100 Education of the Exceptional Child, and EDU 51500 (zero credit hour seminar). Other EDU courses at the 500 level may be taken with the approval of an advisor.
  12. How much longer will it take me to finish my MAT after my undergraduate degree is conferred? This depends on the number of hours you take each semester, if you take summer courses, your certification area and level, and if you pass the Missouri content assessment in two attempts. When you are admitted into the Department of Teacher Education, you will create a customized plan for completion with an advisor. A typical timeline is below for a secondary or K-12 certification area. This student completed the MAT in 18 months (May of 2018 through December of 2019). Keep in mind that some areas may have additional EDU courses such as music and PE.

Fall Senior Year:
EDU 50000 Foundations of Education,
EDU 50200 Psychology of Teaching and Learning

Spring Senior Year:
EDU 54100 Education of the Exceptional Child
EDU 51500, take Missouri Content Assessment in certification area

Summer Graduate Semester I:
EDU 51000 Conceptualization of Education*
EDU 50500 Analysis of Teaching and Learning Behavior*

Fall Graduate Semester II:
EDU 52110 Middle/High School Classroom Teaching and Technology,
EDU 54310 Differentiation and Classroom Management (45 hour field experience required),
EDU 58700 Reading/Writing Across the Curriculum,

Spring Graduate Semester III:
EDU 58404 Advanced Measurement and Evaluation to Enhance Learning,
EDU 535xx Secondary Methods of Teaching,
EDU 50710 Content Literacy for Diverse Learners

Summer Graduate Semester IV:
EDU 57000 Educational Research*
EDU 52000 Curriculum Analysis and Design*

Fall Graduate Semester V:
Student Teaching (EDU 60599)

*Required for the MAT but not for certification. Some students wait to take these courses until after student teaching and receiving certification.

Lindenwood University
209 S. Kingshighway
St. Charles, MO 63301