Associate Professor, Exercise Science
Field House 113
Dr. Kerksick is currently an associate professor of exercise science in the Exercise Science Department in the College of Science, Technology, and Health at Lindenwood University. He currently serves as the director of the Exercise and Performance Nutrition Laboratory (www.lindenwood.edu/epnl) and the Master of Science in Health Sciences program at Lindenwood University. His primary research interests include sport nutrition as well as the biochemical, cellular, and molecular adaptations relative to various forms of exercise and nutrition interventions, primarily those that promote muscle hypertrophy, prevent muscle atrophy, and promote health and recovery in healthy as well as clinical populations.
- Dietary Supplements
- Performance Nutrition
- Skeletal Muscle
Examining the impact of exercise and nutritional interventions on changes in health, performance, and recovery of active and clinical populations.
- Exercise Physiology
- Independent Research
- Nutrition for Performance
- Research Methods and Data Interpretation
- Research Internship
- Sport Nutrition
This is a selected list of publications since the start of Dr. Kerksick’s faculty appointment with Lindenwood University (Jan. 2015).
- Harty PS, Zabriskie HA, Stecker RA, Currier BS, Moon JM, Richmond S, Jagim A, Kerksick CM†. Position-specific body composition norms in female collegiate rugby union athletes. J Strength Cond Res, Acceptance date: June 18, 2019. PMID: 31403573.
- Jäger R, Purpura M, Kerksick CM. Curcumin attenuates performance decrements following muscle damaging exercise. Nutrients. Acceptance date: July 18, 2019. PMID: 31340534.
- Harty PS, Zabriskie HA, Stecker RA, Currier B, Moon JM, Jagim AR, Kerksick CM†. Upper and lower thresholds of fat-free mass index in a large cohort of female collegiate athletes. J Sports Sci. 2019 Jun 25:1-8. PMID: 31238804.
- Currier B, Harty PS, Zabriskie HA, Stecker RA, Moon JM, Jagim AR, Kerksick CM†. Fat-free mass index in a diverse sample of male collegiate athletes. J Strength Cond Res, Acceptance Date: March 3, 2019. PMID: 30985525.
- Zabriskie HA, Currier BS, Harty PS, Stecker RA, Jagim AR, Kerksick CM†. Body composition and energy status across a women’s lacrosse season. Nutrients. 2019 Feb 23;11(2). Pii: E470. PMID: 20813399.
- Watson A, Zabriskie H, Witherbee K, Sulavik A, Kemp K, Gieske BT, Kerksick CM†. Determining a resting metabolic rate prediction equation for female athletes. J Strength Cond Res. Acceptance Date: August 11, 2018. PMID: 30741864.
- Ziegenfuss TN, Kerksick CM, Kedia AW, Sandrock J, Raub B, Lopez H. Proprietary milk protein concentrate reduces joint discomfort while improving exercise performance in non-osteoarthritic individuals. Nutrients. 2019 Jan 28;11(2). pii:E283. PMID: 30696041.
- Harty PS, Cottett ML, Malloy, JK, Kerksick CM. Nutritional and Supplementation Strategies to Prevent and Attenuate Exercise-Induced Muscle Damage: a Brief Review. Sports Med Open 2019 Jan 7:5(1):1. PMID: 30617517.
- Jagim A, Stecker RA, Harty PS, Erickson JL, Kerksick, CM. Safety of creatine supplementation in active adolescents and youth: A brief review. Frontiers in Nutrition 2018 Nov 28:5:115. PMID: 30547033.
- Gieske BT, Stecker RA, Smith CA, Witherbee KE, Harty PS, Kerksick CM†. Metabolic impact of protein feeding prior to moderate-intensity treadmill exercise in a fasted state: a pilot study. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2018 Nov 29;15(1):56. PMID: 30497484.
- Ziegenfuss TN, Kedia AW, Sandrock JI, Raub BJ, Kerksick CM, Lopez HL. Effects of an aqueous extract of Withania somnifera on strength training adaptations and recovery: The STAR trial. Nutrients. 2018 Nov 20;10(11). PMID: 30463324.
- Costa PB, Richmond S, Smith CR, Currier B, Stecker RA, Gieske BT, Kemp K, Witherbee K, Kerksick CM†. Physiological, metabolic and nutritional characteristics of collegiate synchronized swimmers. Int J Sport Perf Physiol. Acceptance Date: October 16, 2018. PMID: 30427226.
- VanDusseldorp TA, Escobar KA, Johnson KE, McCormick JJ, Moriarity T, Stratton M, Cole N, Kerksick CM, Vaughan RA, Dokladny K, Kravitz L, Mermier CM. Effect of branched-chain amino acid supplementation on markers of muscle damage and recovery following acute eccentric resistance exercise. Nutrients. 2018 Oct 1;10(10). E1389. PMID: 30275356.
- Zanders B, Currier B, Eitel M, Harty P, Zabriske H, Smith C, Stecker R, Richmond S, Jagim A, Kerksick C†. Changes in energy expenditure, dietary intake and energy availability across an entire collegiate women’s basketball season. J Strength Cond Res. 2018 Sep 17, epub ahead of print. PMID: 30234694.
- Jagim AR, Camic CL, Askow A, Luedke J, Erickson J, Kerksick CM, Jones MT, Oliver JM. Sex differences in resting metabolic rate among athletes. J Strength Cond Res. 2018 Sep 7, Epub ahead of print. PMID: 30199450.
- Harty PS, Zabriskie HA, Erickson JL, Kerksick CM, Jagim AR. Multi-Ingredient Pre-Workout Supplements, Safety Implications, and Performance Outcomes: A Brief Review. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2018 Aug 8;15(1):41. PMID: 30089501.
- Kerksick CM, Wilborn CD, Roberts MD, Smith-Ryan A, Kleiner SM, Jäger R, Collins R, Cooke M, Davis JN, Galvan E, Greenwood M, Lowery LM, Wildman R, Antonio J, Kreider RB. ISSN Exercise & Sports Nutrition Review Update: Research & Recommendations. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2018 Aug 1;15(1):38. PMID: 30068354.
- Kerksick CM, Schoenfeld B, Arent S, Stout JR, Campbell B, Wilborn CD, Taylor L, Kalman D, Smith-Ryan AE, Kreider RB, Willoughby DS, Arciero PJ, Vandusseldorp T, Ormsbee MJ, Wildman R, Antonio J. International Society of Sports Nutrition Position Stand: Nutrient Timing Revisited. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2017 Aug 29;14:33. PMID: 28919842.
- Handy R and Kerksick CM†. Reverse Lunge with Single-Arm Kettlebell Overhead Press. Strength and Cond J. 2017 Oct; 39(5):89-93.
- Dolan P, Witherbee K, Peterson K, Kerksick CM†. The effect of carbohydrate, caffeine, and carbohydrate + caffeine mouth rinsing on intermittent running performance in collegiate male lacrosse athletes. J Strength Cond Res. 2017 Sep;31(9):2473-2479.
- Jager R, Kerksick CM, Campbell BI, Cribb PJ, Wells SD, Skwiat TM, Purpura M, Ziegenfuss TN, Ferrando AA, Arent SM, Smith-Ryan AE, Stout JR, Arciero PJ, Ormsbee MJ, Taylor LW, Wilborn CD, Kalman DS, Kreider RB, Willoughby DS, Hoffman JR, Krzykowski JL, Antonio J, International Society of Sports Nutrition Position Stand: Protein and Exercise. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2017 Jun 20;14:20. PMID: 28642676.
- O’Reilly L, Kerksick CM†, Feutz B. Exercise Technique: Unilateral Dumbbell Clean and Press. Strength Cond J. 2017 April;39(2): 89-92.
- Ziegenfuss T, Lopez H, Kedia A, Habowski S, Sandrock J, Raub B, Kerksick C, Ferrando A. Novel chromium/amylopectin complex increases muscle protein synthesis when combined with a suboptimal dose of whey protein. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2017 Feb 8;14:6. PMID: 28194093.
- Weaver AN and Kerksick CM†. Implementing Landmine Single-Leg Romanian Deadlifts into an Athlete’s Training Program. Strength Cond J. 2017 Feb;39(1):91.
- Escobar KA, McLain T, Kerksick CM†. Carbohydrate Intake and Resistance-Based Exercise: Are Current Recommendations Reflective of Actual Need? Br J Nutr 2016, Dec 20: 1-13. PMID: 27993175.
- Mike J, Cole N, Herrera C, VanDusseldorp T, Kravitz L, Kerksick CM†. The effects of eccentric contraction duration on muscle strength, power production, vertical jump and soreness. J Strength Cond Res 2016 Oct 20. PMID: 27787464.
- Bova C, Fox E, Alencar M, Kerksick CM†. Nutritional challenges and strategies for the bariatric patient and how fitness professionals can provide support. Strength Cond J. 38(5): 31-39, 2016.
- Ziegenfuss TN, Habowski SM, Sandrock JE, Kedi AW, Kerksick CM, Lopez HL. A two-part approach to examine the effects of Theacrine (TeaCrine®) supplementation on oxygen consumption, hemodynamic responses and subjective measures of cognitive and psychometric parameters. J Dietary Suppl, 2016 May 10:1-15. PMID: 27164220.
- Ziegenfuss TN, Lopez HL, Sandrock JE, Kedia AW, Habowski S, Kerksick CM. Effect of a multi-nutrient over-the-counter supplement on changes in metabolic rate and markers of lipolysis. J Dietary Suppl 2016 May 4;14(3): 288-302. PMID: 27611657.
- Kerksick CM, Roberts MD, Dalbo VJ, Sunderland, KL. Intramuscular phosphagen status and the relationship to functional outcomes across the age spectrum. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2016 Jan;116(1):115-27. PMID: 26307531.
- McClain T, Escobar K, Kerksick CM†. Protein Applications in Sports Nutrition-Part I: Requirements, Quality, Source and Optimal Dose. Strength Cond J. 2015 Apr;37(2):61-71. Web Link.
- Escobar KA, McClain TA, Kerksick CM†. Protein Applications in Sports Nutrition-Part II: Timing and Protein Patterns, Fat-Free Mass Accretion and Fat Loss. Strength Cond J. 2015 Jun;37(3):22-34.
- Fransen JC, Zuhl M, Kerksick CM, Cole N, Altobelli S, Kuethe D, Schneider S. Impact of creatine on muscle performance and phosphagen stores after immobilization. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2015 Sep;115(9):1877-86. PMID: 25893562.
- Alencar MK, Beam JR, McCormick JJ, White AC, Salgado RM, Kravitz LR, Mermier CM, Gibson AL, Conn CC, Kolkmeyer D, Ferraro RT, Kerksick CM†. Meal frequency changes and impact on body composition and markers of health status. Nutr Res. 2015 May;35(5):375-83. PMID: 25862614.
- Mike JN, Kerksick CM, Kravitz L. How to incorporate eccentric training into a resistance training program. Strength Cond J, 2015 Feb;37(1):5-17. Web Link.
- Ziegenfuss TN, Habowski SM, Lemieux R, Sandrock JE, Kedia W, Kerksick CM, Lopez HL. Effects of a dietary supplement on golf drive distance and functional indices of golf performance. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2015 Jan 21;12(1):4. PMID: 25632274.
- Beam JR, Gibson AL, Kerksick CM, Conn CA, White AC, Mermier CM. Effect of post-exercise caffeine and green coffee bean extract consumption on blood glucose and insulin concentrations. Nutrition. 2015 Feb;31(2):292-7. PMID: 25592006.
- Kerksick CM, Tsatsakis AM, Hayes AW, Kafantaris I, Kouretas D. How can bioinformatics and toxicogenomics assist the next generation of research on physical exercise and athletic performance? J Strength Cond Res. 2015 Jan;29(1):270-8. PMID: 25353080.
Please visit Lindenwood's Exercise and Performance Nutrition Laboratory to see a list of publications, recently completed studies, and how to participate in research.
- Exercise / Fitness
- Spending time with family
- Work on House (DIY)