"The unexamined life is not worth living."
Philosophy & Religion offers students an edge by boosting critical thinking, persuasive writing, and the ability to understand innovative ideas. It prepares students for life by seeking the good, the true, and the beautiful in all things. Your critical intelligence will be constantly tested and developed, along with your ability to empathize with your fellow human beings in order to understand their different philosophical and religious perspectives. Most importantly, you will be involved in the study of the ideas and beliefs that are behind and beneath every other discipline in higher education; you will learn to better understand yourself, your neighbor, and your world.
Advantages of a Philosophy & Religion degree:
- Valuable Skills. You will develop critical reading, writing, and thinking skills that are essential to success in other disciplines and in the workplace.
- Higher Scores. Our students tend to score higher on standardized exams for graduate school and professional programs. This is especially true in law where our majors score higher on the LSAT than students from other majors.
- Personal Fulfillment. According to Aristotle, all people "by nature desire understanding," and in seeking understanding, we seek the "kinds of causes and principles whose science is wisdom." Therefore, the study of philosophy and religion is a natural, rewarding, and even necessary part of human existence.
Degree Programs Offered
- Philosophy & Religion, BA
- Philosophy & Religion, BA -Christianity Emphasis
- Philosophy & Religion, BA -Comparative Religion Emphasis
- Philosophy & Religion, BA -Interdisciplinary Philosophy Emphasis
- Philosophy & Religion, BA -Traditional Philosophy Emphasis
- Art and Religion, Minor
- Catholic Studies, Minor
- Critical Thinking, Minor
- Ethical Reasoning, Minor
- Interdisciplinary Philosophy, Minor
- Philosophy, Minor
- Philosophy of Religion, Minor
- Religion, Minor
Our program represents a variety of scholarly interests in philosophy & religion, all of which you get a chance to learn about when you're a major. Visit this page to learn a bit more about who your teachers are, and what they've been up to lately.
Making a career out of what you love: Jobs in Philosophy & Religion
What can you do with a BA in Philosophy & Religion? You can find careers in many areas of the business and academic worlds. Majors often move on to post-graduate study and become teachers or lawyers. Other graduates pursue careers in politics or medicine. The Occupational Outlook Handbook at the Bureau of Labor Statistics is an excellent resource for you as you plan your career.
Connect with us on LinkedIn!