The MFA in Writing program at Lindenwood University focuses on the study and practice of the craft of creative writing. We offer a wide variety of craft classes, literature classes, and writing workshops in small class settings. Coursework can be taken fully online (no residency requirement), fully on-campus, or through a combination of both delivery methods. Classes are taught by experienced writers who are published authors, journalists, and editors. Students can serve as editorial assistants for The Lindenwood Review literary journal. Program acceptance is based upon approval of a submitted creative writing sample and statement of purpose. Visit our About the MFA page and our Prospective Students page for more information, or contact us at MFAdirector@lindenwood.edu.
The Writing (MFA) is offered in traditional, hybrid, and online formats.
- Ranked as #2 after Harvard University for Best Online Masters in Creative Writing Programs by both BestColleges.com in 2019 and TheBestSchools.org in 2020.
- Ranked in top five most affordable online creative writing MFA programs in 2020 by AffordableColleges.com.
- Ranked in top ten by BestCollegeReviews.org for 2020.
- Ranked the #1 Best Online MFA Creative Writing Program by CollegeChoice.net in 2018.
- Ranked by OnlineMasters.com as "Most Innovative" program and as the #2 online Masters in Creative Writing program.
- Ranked #3 in "Most Affordable Online" programs by OnlineU.org in 2020.
- Also nationally recognized by GreatCollegeDeals.net.