Master of Fine Arts (MFA) offered in On-campus, Online, and Hybrid formats.
Tell Your Story.
The MFA in Writing program at Lindenwood University focuses on the study and practice of the craft of creative writing.
We offer a wide variety of courses in small class settings, which allows personalized attention from faculty. Our courses focus on refining the craft (techniques) of writing, and most incorporate workshop components. We also offer professional courses focused on publishing, teaching, writing-related work, and courses in which students can serve as editorial assistants for The Lindenwood Review literary journal.
Coursework can be taken fully online (no residency requirement), fully on-campus (one course is offered each term), or through a combination of both delivery methods. (Note that our on-campus courses, coded "FLX" for "Flex" include webcam, so you can attend from your home outside of the region.)
Classes are taught by experienced writers who are published authors, journalists, and editors.
MFA in Writing program acceptance is based upon approval of a submitted creative writing sample and statement of purpose.
- Ranked as #2 after Harvard University for Best Online Masters in Creative Writing Programs by both BestColleges.com in 2019 and TheBestSchools.org in 2020.
- Ranked in top five most affordable online creative writing MFA programs in 2020 and 2023 by AffordableColleges.com.
- Ranked in top ten by BestCollegeReviews.org for 2020.
- Ranked the #1 Best Online MFA Creative Writing Program by CollegeChoice.net in 2018 and 2023.
- Ranked by OnlineMasters.com as "Most Innovative" program and as the #2 online Masters in Creative Writing program.
- Ranked #3 in "Most Affordable Online" programs by OnlineU.org in 2020.
- Also nationally recognized by GreatCollegeDeals.net.
- Art and Design (BA)
- Art and Design (MA)
- Fashion Business and Entrepreneurship (BS)
- English (BA)
- History (BA)
- Communications (BA)
- Dance (BA, BFA)
- Theatre (BA, BFA)
- Music Resources