“I know nothing in the world that has as much power as a word. Sometimes I write one, and I look at it, until it begins to shine.” ― Emily Dickinson
Welcome to the Department of English at Lindenwood University! We are a dynamic and growing department, and we offer a wide range of courses in both the classical and modern canon in British, American, and World literary traditions as well as in creative writing, professional writing and rhetoric. The English department maintains close working relationships with other programs on campus, including the Master of Fine Arts (MFA) in Writing program offered by the School of Accelerated Degree Programs.
The English program at Lindenwood University empowers students to become:
- Critical thinkers with intellectual resources to test the validity of ideas
- Writers who can adapt their knowledge to a variety of writing tasks
- Skilled communicators
- Researchers skilled at using non-traditional and traditional research tools
- Literate individuals who understand and appreciate both their own and other cultures
- Creative thinkers who develop their own artistic abilities while appreciating the creative expression of others
Degree Programs Offered
The department offers the following major degree programs:
The department offers coursework leading towards the following School of Education teacher certification programs:
- Secondary Education Certification in English (grades 9-12) (minor program; taken in combination with the BA in English Literature)
- Middle School Education, BA — English Language Arts Emphasis (grades 5-9) (minor program; taken in combination with BA in Middle School Education)
The department also offers the following minor programs:
- Minor in English Literature
- Minor in Creative Writing
- Minor in Writing and Professional Communication
Trying to decide which program is right for you? Not sure if you should major or minor in English? Visit this page for more information.
Our growing department represents a wide variety of scholarly interests in English studies, all of which you get a chance to learn about when you're an English major. Visit this page to learn a bit more about who your teachers are, and what they've been up to lately.
Life as an English Major
What's it like to be an English major? Learn more about the extracurricular events and groups you can be a part of here at Lindenwood.
Making a Career out of What You Love: Jobs in English
What can you do with a BA in English? Fortunately, English is a degree program adaptable to quite a few careers. Read more about careers in English here.